Re: *seconded* Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting

Op wo, 16-03-2005 te 12:09 +1000, schreef Anthony Towns:
> Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> >>- the release architecture must have N+1 buildds where N is the number
> >>  required to keep up with the volume of uploaded packages
> > Sane.
> >>- the value of N above must not be > 2
> > Testing related. I do not really understand why this is a problem but
> > somebody may be able to tell.
>
> Uh, no, it's not testing related at all. By the time packages are
> considered for testing, it's completely irrelevant how or where they
> were built.
>
> The reason for the N = {1,2} requirement is so that the buildds can be
> maintained by Debian, which means that they can be promptly fixed for
> system-wide problems, and which means access to them can be controlled,
> rather than opening up users of that architecture to exploits should a
> random disgruntled non-developer have access to the machine and decide
> to abuse it, eg.

Why did it have to take two days for this to be explained?

Okay.

I can understand these concerns, and they are valid; but there are
better ways to tackle them. Requiring that the machines are owned and
hosted by Debian Developers, rather than random non-developers, for
example, could be a better idea than to impose some arbitrary
restriction that has no real value; buildd hosts don't necessarily need
to be part of the debian.org network to be able to do what they need to
do.

(This would lose us some m68k buildd hosts, but I'm quite sure that, as
it currently stands, we could still keep up with unstable without those,
and we probably could find some extra machines that would fullfill that
criteria in short order)

> >>- the Debian System Administrators (DSA) must be willing to support
> >>  debian.org machine(s) of that architecture
> > I assume people can help with this too, or?
>
> Doing DSA work involves more than having root on a random box on the
> internet. It's a specific task, not something that every developer is
> already doing under a different title.

How does one exclude the other?

--
         EARTH