Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 12:51:16PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Jesús Roncero wrote:
>
> >I've recently had those problems also on a Dell server, using SATA too. The
> >fine guys from #gpul helped me a lot on this. Basically, what happened to
> >me
> >is that kernel 2.4 mapped the SATA drive as /dev/hdc and kernel 2.6 mapped
> >it
> >to /dev/sda
> Well, after doing an
>
>     sed -i "s/hda/sda/" /etc/fstab
>
>                   __AND__
>
> switching BIOS from "conventional" (=no SATA) to "normal" (=SATA)
>
>                   __AND__
>
> changing grub boot menu from
>
>    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686 root=/dev/hda3 ro
>    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686 root=/dev/sda3 ro
> it worked.  I really regard this problem as serious because it probably
> leaves people with SATA hardware with an unbootable system after
> kernel-image
> updates, because the kernel image packages just reinsert "root=/dev/hda?"
> into grub's menu.lst . Any idea how to solve this problem?

The updates do _what_? Rather than changing that entry in grub's
list, find the section like this:
## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 ro

and change that last line to be: (Assuming your 2.4 kernel is 2.4.27)

# kopt=root=/dev/sda3 ro
# kopt_2_4_27=root=/dev/hda3 ro

and run update-grub. That should autogenerate the grub-used sections
-- the ones without any '#' in front, after
## ## End Default Options ##

And future 2.6 installs will get the right device (the sda one)
and if you install any further 2.4 kernels you'll have to make
another "# kopt_2_4_xx=root=/dev/hda3 ro" line and rerun update-grub.
You can check the output in the lower section, and make sure it's
generating sensible grub entries.

The use labels for the rest of your data partitions, and... I dunno,
put both /dev/hda3 and /dev/sda3 in your swap list? Let your 2.4
kernel boot without swap until you manually activate it? Solve to
taste, and serve with a side of "I hope that helps".

^_^

Hmm. This assumes you're using update-grub and the Debian-supplied/
maintained grub/menu.lst. If not, then... well, don't lose your paddle.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.