Re: RFC: graph of Debian package cycle

also sprach Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2005.02.12.1908 +0100]:
> Interesting, thanks.  I believe the --->O arrays are confusingly
> labled.  "package installation" is probably a better choice.  The
> difference between "package propagation" and "package upload" is
> not clear, at least to me.

okay for the first. the difference between propagation and upload is
whether it happens automatically by the archive scripts, or has to
be manually instigated by the developer (uploaded).

do you have a suggestion how to improve this?

> I suppose you should split the diagram in two because the
> before-incoming part and the after-incoming part are not too
> strongly connected, and the result would be more readable.

well, i guess you are somewhat right, although the split will be
difficult.

i guess just leaving out the incoming part altogether at the risk of
not being absolutely correct may be an option.

anyway, i am tempted to leave it as complex as it is and to add
a note that it's not supposed to be any more overwhelming than
reality is. :) upon careful study, the graph *can* be used to
extract information, no?

also sprach Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com> [2005.02.13.1031 +0100]:
> > I suppose you should split the diagram in two because the
> > before-incoming part and the after-incoming part are not too
> > strongly connected, and the result would be more readable.
>
> This is something about which I will think.

Yes, me too. If you have any suggestions on how to split, I would
love to hear them.

Kevin: I hope I did not step on your feet, but I was in a rush to
get some version done, so I did not contact you. You are cordially
invited to work from my sources, or we can maintain in parallel. In
any case, I hope you are okay with the attribution I gave.
Otherwise, please let me know.

also sprach Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> [2005.02.12.1947 +0100]:
> mfk> Given that incoming contains the source package (unless orig.tar.gz
> mfk> is pulled from unstable, should add that), the buildds really don't
> mfk> deal with the upstream sources or the unpacked source tree
> mfk> maintained by the developer.
>
> Buildds deal with source package and not binary package. I thought
> you mean with package source the .dsc, .diff.gz and .orig.tar.gz
> files.

Right, and incoming also contains them. The "sources" item is really
supposed to be the upstream sources or the directory on the
developer's machine holding the stuff, but inaccessible as such to
the buildds.

`. `'`