How do audio players handle Windows play lists?

I received a bug report saying that cplay (a front-end for various
audio players) doesn't handle playlists containing files such as

.\foo.mp3

I explained to the bug submitter that Windows and Unix use different
directory separators and that .\foo.mp3 is a valid name on Unix, but
that this file obviously didn't exist.

I made the suggestion to the bug submitter that they should simply
replace \ with / and it will work.  However, before closing the bug, I
wanted to see if other media player handle such playlists in a good
way, possibly via a command line option telling the program to treat
\ as /.  As far as I can tell, XMMS doesn't do this and fails just
like cplay.

Does anyone know if any players handle this situation in an elegant
way?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/