Re: Resignation

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 03:07:30PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:11:38PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
> > > Why is quitting worthy of jeering then?
> > FWIW, the main reasons I can see for this resignation would be either:
> > (i) you honestly believe that if the argument does not go your way, you
> > will be sufficiently unhappy working in the project that it is better
> > for your state of mind to quit,
> > (ii) persuasion is failing and you wish to push people to your side of the
> > argument through other means (i.e., through the loss of your significant
> > contribution),
> Had he said that e.g. he will refuse to use kde debs because of that bug,
> or that he will up the severity of the bug to RC, or something like that,

The bug doesn't match the criteria for any of the RC severities. Setting
it one of them would have been utterly inappropriate, and a misuse of the
BTS. Also, the issue wasn't limited to KDE, but covered the new installer
(ie, the topic of the thread), and a host of other packages, [0].

> I would have understood it as (i). Instead, quitting altogether certainly
> looks more like (ii) or worse, and I find such an act worthy of derision.

It's always entertaining when folks don't want to give others the benefit
of the doubt, then try to imagine that they have any chance of knowing
the state of their mind so they can claim that there isn't really any
doubt anyway.

For reference, the time between Herbert indicating he'd quit over this
issue [1], 'til he actually did quit [2] was under a day, with the only
discussion between that time being on clarification of the project's
stance on the issue (namely, that numerous packages use the ISO standard
except for the case of Taiwan) [3]. After his resignation, he explicitly
discouraged folks from considering his position as pressure to change
other folks' stance on the issue [4]. Neither of which are the mark of
someone trying to use their contribution to the project as leverage to
get other folks to do what they want.

But hey, he's probably just stupid as well as immoral and risible, and
that's why his evil plans didn't work out. All the more reason to point
and laugh, right?

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg00615.html
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg00410.html
    04 May 2004, 09:23 +1000
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/05/msg00276.html
    05 May 2004, 08:07 +1000
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg00531.html
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/05/msg00719.html

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.