Re: impolite developers (was: /dev/null (was Re: Nathanael Nerode should STFU))

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 07:18:38AM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> Discussing how to ignore people publically is not what I expect from
> adult developers of Debian. That's highly impolite and tasteless.

The suggestions I'm making are direct response to a case where ignoring
an impolite and tasteless troll would cut down on thread flaming.  If
you know for a fact that 99% of the time, you do not read nor appreciate
the comments of an author for a given thread, kill the thread.  It is
still being archived by the list archives.  If you must go back and read
it later, you can.

Kill-files and ignore lists are a simple fact of life on any large
public forum, regardless of the format.  It could be newsgroups (I dare
you to consistently read any news group without having a kill-file), an
email list or even slashdot.

> As adults you should've learned to respect other peoples opinions
> regardless if they match your own POV or if they sound silly to you.
> This kind of bad behaviour is part of the big picture why Debian is
> often considered arrogant and why it has a bad reputation to users.

Then kill-file me. ;-)  Just because I decide which threads to
parcitipate in and which threads to ignore does not mean I'm a poor,
misguided adult who should be reprimanded.  One of the reason to
killfile a thread or author is so that I DON'T act like a tasteless
kermudgen and start impolitely flaming the the list.  You're telling me
that I have to put up with it?  Nonsense.

The bottom line is that you have two choices: complain or ignore.

If you want practical advice on how to killfile, weight your scores more
heavily on the thread-recognizing strings than the author recognizing
strings.  i.e. Give higher scores to message ID's than From's.  For
example, to ignore me in this particular thread:

# Ignore Chad, the troll, in /dev/null thread 2004/05/03
:0
* -99^0
*  75^0 ^(References|In-Reply-To):.*20040501224558\.GH3168@wookimus\.net
*  20^0 ^Subject:.*/dev/null
*  10^0 ^(From|Sender):.*chewie@wookimus\.net
*   0^0 ^Message-Id:\/.*
/dev/null

	:0a
	{ LOG="Killed $MATCH" }

Yes, folks, procmail is a powerful tool. ;-)  Ignore me at will.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/