Re: If it's that easy! :-) (Novell and YaST vs. Debian)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:23:11PM +0100, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
> Hi ..

> >> Is there a config option in /etc/apt/preferences that will make sure that a
> >> certain package name can *never* be installed on a system, regardless of
> >> what dependencies it might break?
>
> Why ... is there any good for avoiding Yast in debian?

Not "YaST in Debian" just "YaST in any system that I might at some stage
have to work on".  It's track record of maintaining user changes to config
files and such is abysmal - THE number one reason I avoid SuSE in all it's
forms.  What I want to avoid is creating a machine, lovingly set it up
exactly how it needs to be, then have some yahoo say "hey, this YaST thing
will help me out" and demolish the work I've done.

And yes, I'm aware there are other ways to solve the problem, but there's a
finite supply of quicklime out there...

- Matt