Re: RFC: kernel packages cleanup

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:33:59PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:

> m68k has some 2.4 kernels so I hope that 2.2 isn't required anymore.

Unfortunately, it is. At least for mac we know we need 2.2, and half of our
buildds are macs. Most Amigas work with 2.4.25, not sure why/if some don't,
but if we keep 2.2.25 for all but Amiga (I have no reports if the other
subarches can use 2.4.x), we might as well keep the one amiga image.

> Also it is quite likely that 2.2.x doesn't compile with tools in
> sarge anymore.  We've faced this with the powerpc/apus update.

Nope, it works with 2.2.25 and I added the build-dependency with the last
upload.

> > In unstable, there are currently kernel sources for six different 2.4
> > kernels (2.4.{19,20,21,22,24,25}). I'd like to see the number of such
> > packages reduced.
>
> Mee too!!!

You can remove all 2.4.x m68k images, patches and headers except for the
latest one (2.4.25).

> 5. Try to build as many architectures from one source package, so
>    that kernel-image packages can be autobuilt by the buildd network
>    and that the number of source packages reduces.
>
>    This would help the security team a lot.

As nice as it sounds, I don't like that. One 2.4 kernel-image takes about 6h
on the fastest m68k machines, I wouldn't want to build 6 or more of those (I
am thinking of build q40 and sun3 images as well) in one go, maybe to fix
just one module in one subarch.

Christian