Re: Co-maintaining Kaffe

Ean Schuessler <ean@debian.org> writes:

> Hi Arnaud,

Hi Ean,

> First, I would like to start by saying how much I appreciate your
> enthusiasm  and all of the hard work you are putting into Kaffe. I
> think that your  efforts are definitely producing a better product and
> I hope that we will be  able to work together to provide Debian with a
> top-notch Java solution.

Thanks.

> That said, I must protest whole-heartedly with the way you are dealing
> with me  as the maintainer of Kaffe. Performing an NMU that adds
> yourself as an  Uploader and uses a non-NMU version number is gross
> breach of protocol. There  are defined methods for NMU'ing or even
> taking over a package if that is your  intent and I entreat you to
> follow them.

OK. I should not act like this. I'm just a little tired.

1° your last upload was  on Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:18:30 -0500. Since them,
   there has been two NMU on mid december (not by me). My first NMU was
   on Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:02:59 +0100. Since mid december, you've not
   uploaded kaffe. There has been three releases since your last upload;

2° there are 7 RC bugs for 48 days. Do you have a plan about them?

3° Except for the two last uploads, I send you a private mail before
   doing each NMU, proposing you to collaborate... and when I can reach
   you (I first receive mails that told me to resend the message and
   then another message told me it was impossible to deliver the mail
   because of a permission problem...), I have to wait for two weeks and
   still have nothing concrete about a collaboration;

4° You did propose to set up a project on Alioth... there already is a
   pkg-java project on Alioth that would be a good place to put kaffe[1];

5° You publicly wrote a mail saying you were not interesting in
   packaging kaffe no more: 'The truth is that I should give Debian up
   for adoption because I don't have the time to properly maintain it.'[2];

> I may be slow in my packaging of Kaffe but it is not as if I am
> totally  unresponsive. You have made changes (such as disabling all
> DBS applied  patches) that were not correct and would have benefitted
> from my input.  Having to check if there is a NMU everytime I go to
> upload the package is  getting old. You have already scuppered several
> of my uploads (including the  recent 1.1.4) by simply beating me to
> the punch.

As a maintainer, don't you receive a mail on every upload?! If not, why
don't you subscribe at http://packages.qa.debian.org/k/kaffe.html you'll
have the latest news about your package!

> Circumscribe your excitement and go about things in the proper way if
> you wish  to work with me on Kaffe. Following the process is an
> integral part of what makes Debian work.

The subject of your mail is 'Co-maintaining Kaffe' but I don't see
nothing concrete about co-maintaining kaffe except complains.

Well. Do your part of the job and I'll be glad to follow the
process. I'm sorry but the past experience trying to deal with you was
not that efficient (not sure of my English here, no offense). You can
set up a project on Alioth or join pkg-java, put the project as the
maintainer and you as an uploader, you can already add me as you asked
before.

> Again, I deeply appreciate your work but I admonish you to follow
> procedure or  I will take this up with Project leadership.

I do not appreciate the way you deal with the situation. Sending this
mail to the public list before even trying to talk with me is not a way
to prove me you *really* appreciate my job.

So, I don't wanna fight. I want kaffe in testing. I'd prefer kaffe to be
co-maintained and I'm ready to help... but I'm tired of promises. It's
my last step to help on your kaffe package in Debian. I'll not touch any
kaffe-related thing anymore until an official call for co-maintaining
the package. Note that I have other packages to take care of[3], some
other projects running[4], I also try to help gnu/classpath and
gnu/classpathx projects, have a wife, some friends and a good (full
time) job.

Best regards,

Footnotes:
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2004/debian-java-200401/msg00215.html