Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Le mar 13/01/2004 à 19:54, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
>
> > No, /lib and /lib64 is the way everyone else does it. I see no reason
> > to use /lib/64 just because it looks nicer.
>
> But there surely is a reason to use /lib. "Everyone else does" use
> Windows, why not use it too?
>
> Come on, compatibility is good, but when it comes to trashing the whole
> distribution just to be compatible, you have to ask yourself how much
> you really want this compatibility. Do we want Debian to be a Redhat
> clone, or to be a good operating system?

Give us one good technical reason why /lib/64 or just /lib is any
better than /lib64. Any of them would be supplied by
dpkg-subarchitecture in LIB_DIR and passed on to configure. There
realy is no change by renaming it unless you drop multiarch support
completly and everything just uses /lib.

And multiarch support is wanted for sparc64, mips64, s390x, ppc64
anyway. Leaving out amd64 multiarch support doesn't reduce the
problem.

MfG
        Goswin