Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:41:52AM +0100]:
> (...)
> That means apt/dpkg has to be changed and then all libraries that
> get ported to 64bit. The autobuilder foramd64 can easily check for
> files in /lib, /lib64, /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 and verify that an ABI
> line is set correctly.

...But this is just too ugly. Not only it breaks tradition and makes
for a longer search path for libraries, but it also looks
terrible. Would you accept, say, having 32-bit libraries in /lib and
64-bit ones in /lib/64? I might even suggest it being the other way
around, as 64-bit libraries will hopefully be more common.

Now... Excuse me if I am asking for something obvious or stupid, or
that has been asked before (just point that out to me): What happens
when someone has both versions of a library? When a program searches
for the library, how will it know if it must use the 32 or the 64 bit
version? Will the soname be different, or the loader checks for ABI
compatibility?

(yes, I do all of my programming in scripting languages, and am mostly
unexposed to nasty ABI stuff)

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366