Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

This one time, at band camp, Martin Schulze said:
> Moin,
>
> I wonder if the maintainers of
>
>   . virus scanners
>   . spam filters
>   . security scanners
>   . log analysers
>   . intrusion detection systems
>   . what I forgot
>
> have made up their mind on how they will update clients that have
> installed sarge, once it is released and only barely accepts updates.
>
> A while ago there was a discussion in which it was said that such
> tools are rather useless (or even dangerous) if they don't get their
> database updated in accordance with new viruses/security problems.
>
> Some of these systems are hence not suitable for a stable Debian
> release where updates will only be made for security problems and
> very important bugfixes.
>
> Have you thought about keeping these packages out of sarge or did you
> develop a solution so that users can get their databases updated
> outside of the stable Debian release?

ClamAV uses freshclam for virus definitions, so the actual database
updates are covered.  That being said, there are relatively frequent
changes to the scanning engine as well, leaving me feeling like it may
not be the best choice for a stable release.  I do plan to continue
offering out of band up dates on p.d.o, but I am not sure this is the
best way to proceed.  Feedback welcome,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |