Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

Moin,

I wonder if the maintainers of

  . virus scanners
  . spam filters
  . security scanners
  . log analysers
  . intrusion detection systems
  . what I forgot

have made up their mind on how they will update clients that have
installed sarge, once it is released and only barely accepts updates.

A while ago there was a discussion in which it was said that such
tools are rather useless (or even dangerous) if they don't get their
database updated in accordance with new viruses/security problems.

Some of these systems are hence not suitable for a stable Debian
release where updates will only be made for security problems and
very important bugfixes.

Have you thought about keeping these packages out of sarge or did you
develop a solution so that users can get their databases updated
outside of the stable Debian release?

Regards,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book