Re: what's new in sarge

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:

> Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
>> I would like to hear what are the most important changes between woody and
>> sarge. What do you say if someone ask you "what's new in sarge?" ;)
>>
>> I know, we've got new, incredible installer.
>> We've got plenty new packages, and updated versions of old packages.
>> Most of Debian tools have been improved, and some new tools appeared.
>>
>> Could someone describe them more verbosely?
>> What exacly has changed between woody and sarge?
>>
>> Don't get me wrong. I don't want to start a flamewar or something like that.
>> Someone asked me question from the subject and I have problems answering
>> it. I mean using sid on my home box everyday makes many changes invisible
>> for me, and I don't want to skip anything.
>> Maybe preparation of the list of new features in sarge would be nice idea.
>> Maybe such list exists already?
>
> Not that I know of, but I would be interested in it as well.
>
> One very important feature is hardware detection in the installer
> and including some X configuration.
>
> Others probably include the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux and debian-med efforts
> which boosted the number of educational packages and those with a medical
> background.

Not to forget the Debian-Accessibility[1] effort which boosted the number
of packages available for people with disabilities (gnopernicus, screader,
yasr, eflite, speakup, gok and dasher, just to name a few).  GNOME is now the
first Linux GUI desktop with enough underlying accessibility support to make
a screen reader for the blind possible.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/

--
CYa,