Re: cross compile packages

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 15:56, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Oliver Kurth wrote:
> [snip]
> > I myself cross compile every day for for work, for ppc on i386.
> >
> > I also built quite a few ppc debs using cross compilers. The only thing
> > that often hinders cross compiling is carelessness by maintainers in
> > configure scripts - often fixing this is trivial (but patches are often
> > ignored).
>
> It needs some more care. You may run in e.g. endianness problems if the
> compile produces non-object binaries of some sort.

I have heard this argument before. Apart from the fact that I do not
know what such a 'non-object binary' may be, again, it would be a
configuration issue, and probably trivial to solve.

I do not want to propose that we use fast architectures to build
official packages for slow architectures, as it seems that's a solution
for a non-existant problem. I just wanted to note that it is possible to
build debian packages using cross compilers. Kudos to the maintainers of
toolchain-source and dpkg-cross. Thanks.

Greetings,
Oliver