cross compile packages

Hi all,

I recently started playing with mingw32 - Minimalist GNU win32 (cross)
compiler.  This allows me to write a GTK frontend to go along with a
console backend for telescope control, and compile an .exe for windows
and a ELF for linux very easily (both from linux).

I started thinking about cross compiling in general, and I wonder why
Debian doesn't have cross compile packages (I imagine its a disk space
issue?)

If we did, we wouldn't need to compile m68k on m68k; in fact, we could
just compile everything on x86 (if need be).  And we wouldn't have a
month long compile queue.

Correct me if I'm way off target here, this is new ground for me.

Thanks,
Justin