Re: cross compile packages

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:48:51PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> If we did, we wouldn't need to compile m68k on m68k; in fact, we could
> just compile everything on x86 (if need be).  And we wouldn't have a
> month long compile queue.

The month long compile queue has nothing to do with slow hardware. This
is easily proven by having a look at the actual lengths of those compile
queues, and comparing them against the relative speed of single systems
of the target architecture.

Cross-compiling .deb packages has one major disadvantage: it's
impossible to run test suites that way, whereas running such test suites
is generally preferable to avoid a specific class of features later on.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks