Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 04:14:00PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:20:09PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.  Blindly removing any folder is bad.
> >
> > So rm -rf /var/log/apache/* is OK then?  If not, why is it OK for programs
> > to clean /tmp?
>
> That would be because it's /tmp. /var/log is not /tmp/log.

That's like saying "the sun rises because it's round".  /tmp gets cleaned
because there's a policy that says "/tmp gets cleaned".  Similarly, there's
a policy that says "logs get removed".  It's probably not completely clear,
and could do with a clarification, about whether that only includes logs
generated as part of a default installation, or whether it should be all
logs that might have been created by the package during it's lifetime.

I'd prefer it to be the latter, since (a) what's default at remove might not
have been default at install / last configuration, and (b) we have a quite
reasonable method of removing the package's regular files without getting
rid of logfiles -- it's called 'remove'.

- Matt