Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On 16-Aug-04, 13:38 (CDT), John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> Steve Greenland writes:
> > Not when the path is explicitly for the package's log files. How else is
> > it supposed to know? Would you prefer that the apache purge did
>
> >	find / -name 'access.log*' | xargs rm
>
>         find $path -name 'access.log*' | xargs rm ; rmdir $path
>
> Remove any files that the package may have created and then attempt to
> remove the directory.

That's going to remove all the log files as created by the default
setup, plus any that have been moved to subdirectories.

If we're going to expect the admin to take the trouble to move log files
to non-default names, and/or change httpd.conf or the apache logrotate
configuration to rename them, then why not expect her to move them away
from the /var/log/apache directory entirely?

It seems a lot easier to say "Hey, admin person: when a package
creates a subdir of /var/log, you can expect it to remove everything
under it when it's purged; adjust your configuration and expectations
accordingly" than "well, you need to read the package's postrm to
determine what file names it might leave around when it's purged."

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net