Re: DO NOT REMOVE the lib packages after updates

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:04:44PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> It requires a bit of coordination with the other maintainers if you want
> the change to go 100% smoothly.  When I've done this in the past I've
> contacted the maintainers of other affected packages, giving them access
> to a prerelease version of the new package and we've worked out some
> scheme for getting the transition done with the minumum of fuss.  This
> has always been a pretty painless process for me.
>
> Obviously, just suddenly uploading the package without warning can cause
> issues but they can be avoided without having to keep the old source
> package kicking around.

Anything would be preferable to suddenly getting bug reports from your
users saying that your package just became uninstallable. I've been
caught out many times by the changing imagemagick library packages ;-(

I think the library churn also leaves us in a bad position wrt
commercial software on Debian. In particular I have some experience with
hardware design tools. Often these are aimed at old Red Hat versions
(even brand new builds can be aimed at RH 7.x or 8.x), and they use
libstdc++ versions which existed at one time in Debian but actually
only *in between* stable releases, so they are really hard to get now.
I guess the LSB should address that.

Hamish