Re: DO NOT REMOVE the lib packages after updates

#include <hallo.h>
* Josselin Mouette [Mon, Jul 12 2004, 06:16:01PM]:
> On lun, 2004-07-12 at 17:12 +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > The problem: the libgtkhtml3.x-y packages are always removed when a new
> > version is beeing uploaded. This behaviour is totaly stupid, it breaks
> > every package depending on the particular (SONAMEd) library package. For
> > example, this hits gtk-sharp the second time and now we have to make an
> > upload for no reason just to fix the dependency.
>
> Of course they are always removed: they all come from the same source

Okay; Takou, please take my appologies for suspecting you in deliberate
removal of the source package (I was fooled by reportbug, #259001).
However, there is still no excuse for the removal of the binary package
by renaming it.

> package. And sometimes, the soname of a library changes, which means you
> have to rebuild all packages using it. This is the case for many
> libraries with an unstable ABI in Debian.

I know all these issues, I have maintained library packages in the past.

> > So now, Takuo, please listen and speak after me: WE DO NOT REMOVE
> > PACKAGES WHEN OTHERS DEPEND ON THEM. There is simply no reason, the
> > archive works fine if there are two versions of libgtkhtml-dev, just the
> > newer one is used. You do NOT need to remove them. If you feel that it
> > is neccessary, do at least contact the users of your package
> > (grep-available -F Depends libgtkhtml | grep Maintainer | sort -u) and
> > tell them about what you are going to do.
>
> Are you asking to have a new source package at each SONAME change?

Exactly.

> Except in some rare cases (e.g. libpng), that's a very bad idea.

And why? I just showed that it works.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
Ist feucht die Hose im August, dann hättest du auf's Klo gemußt.