Re: My experience with debian

  This is already done.  Have you actually tried to remove, say, apt?
Here's what apt-get does:

===============
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt apt-file apt-listchanges apt-show-versions apt-utils apt-watch aptitude
  base-config debtags gnome libapt-pkg-dev libapt-pkg-perl python-apt synaptic
  tasksel
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  apt
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 15 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 16.5MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]
==============

  aptitude uses even stronger language:

==============
The following ESSENTIAL packages will be REMOVED!
  apt

WARNING: Performing this action will probably cause your system to break!
         Do NOT continue unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing!
To continue, type the phrase "I am aware that this is a very bad idea":

  dpkg makes you add a command-line option....I haven't surveyed the
rest of the frontends, but anyway, the Essential flag on packages is
meant for exactly this, and all package management frontends should
heed it.

  Daniel

--
/------------------ Daniel Burrows <d.burrows4@verizon.net> ------------------\
|                          "Inconceivable!"                                   |