Re: My experience with debian

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:50:06AM +0200, Christer Solskogen wrote:

> Debian, on the other hand, does not have this feature. In Debian you /can/
> (even if it is goddamn stupid!) uninstall everything.

> So I have a suggestion. Make a virtualpackage that contains the absolut
> minimum of packages that is needed to get a running Linux system.

  That is not necessary.

  There are two things that invalidate your suggestion, if I read it
 correctly.  Firstly there are a few (very few) packages which are
 installed on all installations which have a Priority of "Required".
 These cannot be removed.  Here's an example:

steve@skx:~# dpkg --purge base-files
dpkg: error processing base-files (--purge):
 This is an essential package - it should not be removed.
 base-files

  Secondly no package removal would be able to take place if it
 was required by something else.  (Ignoring somebody using a '--force'
 option).  This is a normal effect of the Debian dependency handling.

  As for a miminal base meta-package, you'd be welcome to create one
 but it would likely be different for everybody.  I install a
 'steve-base' package on all my machines, which is used to just pull
 in some packages I always use such as screen, less, bzip2, etc.  That
 is simple enough to create but I think that having a distro wide
 would be unlikely.  (Perhaps role-webserver, role-nameserver, or
 something would be simple enough.  But the general case would be
 harder).

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.