Re: standard apt/yum meta-data format

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:52:16PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

I've been watching the fedora community, and it looks like an XML based index format is being proposed by the yum developers.

What is the debian project's perspective on this? Is it likely the new format will be adopted, or is that going to be left for apt-rpm?

I've been following the rpm-metadata mailing list; so far, I have not seen a
compelling advantage which would justify the investment.  I don't see much
momentum on the part of other distributors, either.

Hopefully it's multiple files will allow apt-get update to download only the changes instead of the entire list over and over.

I know it could be done by splitting the files per month/week/day or etc, if it can make the updates download less data, and counter the NIH problem yum developers seem to have I'm all for it.

Unfortunately, from what I can see in the readme[1], it doesn't look like the "apt-get update downloading less data" has been a consideration. :(

1. http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/readme.metadata