Re: Upstream version with a hyphen?

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> I'm getting ready to upload a new version of crash (finally!),
> but I've run into a small problem.  The upstream version
> includes a dash. (i.e. the current version looks like 3.8-2.1)
>
> Now, for a while I was going under the assumption that this was
> not okay, so I changed the version to 3.8.2.1, which worked
> great.
>
> I took a look in the policy manual, and I've been lead to
> believe that having a hyphen in the upstream version is okay:
>
>    "The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics[28] and
>     the characters . + - : (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and
>     should start with a digit. If there is no debian_revision
>     then hyphens are not allowed; if there is no epoch then
>     colons are not allowed."
>            -- section 5.6.11, "Version"
>
> In particular, "if there is no debian_revision then hyphens are
> not allowed."
>
> Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that if there IS a debian
> revision that hyphens SHOULD be allowed? ;)
>
> The full version string I tried using is: 3.8-2.1-1, and I ended
> up with a debian native package.

If the package is native or non-native has nothing to do with the
version number you are using. A package will always be native if the
orig.tar.gz isn't found.

So you either have no orig.tar.gz or you misnamed it slightly. If you
can't see the problem strace the build to see what file it looks for.

> Am I doing something wrong, or should I just give up and change
> the '-' to a '.'?
>
> Thanks,

MfG
        Goswin