Re: Status of Gnome in Debian testing/unstable

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:59:20PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> I have those packages updated and didn't see any horrible breaks yet.

Hmm.  I tried it with a clean profile.  I don't run gnome-session or any
session manager, but run this in my .xsession:

/usr/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon &
GSDPID=$!
while lsof -u$USER | awk 'BEGIN { found = 0; }
        ($2 == "'$GSDPID'") && ($8 ~ /orbit-'$USER'/) { found = 1; next
}
        END { exit found }'
do
        sleep 1
done

My settings weren't being loaded and when I tried to run
gnome-control-center it would hang.  I expect that's the problem; I'll
reapply the upgrades without running this in .xsession and see if that
fixes the problem.

I got this code from somewhere on this list, to get
gnome-settings-daemon running without using gnome-session.  Something
must have changed.