Re: Library version in name vs. so version

Hi Goswin,

thanks for your suggestions.

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 16:15, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> You can provide a libjasper-dev in each libjasper-1.XXX-dev and
> you can add extra links for libjasper-1.so.1.0.0 or libjasper.so.1.0.0
> and still keep the upstream name for the package.

I strongly prefer the removal of the package version in the library
filename.

When upstream doesn't want to remove the version from the library name
(or doesn't respond), what about doing it just for Debian?

The respective Makefile excerpt seems to be in the current
src/libjasper/Makefile.am:

libjasper_la_LDFLAGS = \
        -release $(LT_RELEASE) \
        -version-info $(LT_CURRENT):$(LT_REVISION):$(LT_AGE)

Is it OK to remove the "-release ..." and on updates carefully work on
the -version-info? Any idea why upstream uses -release _and_
-version-info?

Thanks!

bye,
  Roland