Re: Library version in name vs. so version

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 04:15:34PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
-snip-
> libjasper-1 is probably a good compromise. Any change in the ABI and
> soname will hopefully result in a libjasper-2.XXX upstream version
> while different libjasper-1.XXX should be ompatible (I thope) and then
> you can easily have libjasper-1 and libjasper-2 in debian for the
> transition.

Why would the upstream use that numbering scheme (without being asked)?
Upstream has already conciously added the release version to the soname
which indicates they aren't keeping the ABI stable between releases.
This is also done in other libraries such as libusb. Now if you could
convince upstream to use normal library versioning instead that would
probably be a good thing...

Chris