Re: Python modules for every supported version

[..]
> Also, I understood that byte-compilation was purely an optimization. If
> you feel that doing it is too slow, we could always opt *not* to do it
> for modules that are deemed unlikely to be performance-critical (and, of
> course, people could byte-compile them themselves if we miss some out).
> It's a straightforward convenience/performance trade-off, except that
> the convenience is largely the developer's.
And what about a kind of configuration file (debconf) for the Python
Debian packaging, saying if the user wants to byte-compile at
installation or not?

I use to mount my /usr read-only, and so the Python "interpreter" would
never be able to save the byte-compiled version after the installation
of the module self.

--
Jérôme Warnier
Consultant