Re: Python modules for every supported version

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:27:23 -0700
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:34:33AM +0200, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
>
> > My conclusion is that there are a lot of modules which are not
> > versioned and are available only for particular versions of python
> > without motivation. IMHO, can be very useful if every maintaner have
> > to package versioned python modules. I know people who use python2.1
> > or python2.2 and I think Debian should think also about them.
> >
> > What about the policy? Is there something which suggests to do this?
> > What do you thing about my proposal?
>
> I still do not see why supporting N versions of Python should require
> N+1 binary packages (or even N).  Why can't they be byte-compiled
> after installation for all available versions of Python?

Suppose package foo is installed.  It requires byte compilation.  When
installed, python2.2 is on the user's box.  It is possible to discover
the set of pythons on a user's machine, but somewhat nasty.

Now, suppose that python2.3 is later installed. How does the
installation procedure for python2.3 discover that it can (and should)
bytecompile foo? Certainly it is a much nastier problem, and will, at
best, lead to a very slow installation process for python2.3.

Jim Penny