Re: Pre-Depends of #CDD#-common meta packages from cdd-common

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 06:47:11PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 04:25:28PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:

> > > Please do. Replacing adequete languages with less flexible ones for
> > > *no reason* is stupid.
> >
> > Ahhh, but you conveniently snipped the reasons I provided.
>
> You didn't give any, except the bogus "portability" one.

You might regard it as a bogus reason, I sure don't.
I did also mention the storage-space issue, but since you neatly removed
it with your first reply to me, I've repeated it below.

> > And using
> > bashisms for *no reason* is far more stupid...
>
> No, "doing nothing", absent any reason to do something, is the
> sensible approach.

Sigh.  I have provided sufficient reasons to do something.  And
substituting /bin/sh for /bin/bash is doing something as well.
In both cases we're talking about a single substitution.

> > We're talking about
> > removing one bashism in a script to make it more portable
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> False. Please come back when you have some comprehension of what
> portable shell scripting means. There's a chapter in the autoconf
> manual that might clue you in.

There's portable, then there's portable.  Being portable to still
developed platforms is reasonable, being portable to Unixen from 1977 is
not.

However, I do not mind at all people writing scripts that cater to old
quirks of semi-extinct platforms, but I do not think it's needed for
maintainer-scripts.

> The only platform where /bin/sh is "reliably" a posix shell is
> Debian. Deal with it.
>
> > allow it to
> > meet policy,
>
> False dilemma; more trivially accomplished by using #!/bin/bash.

Yeah, oh the horrors of having to replace command -v with which instead
of sh with bash...  Oh so much less trivial.

> > and in the end allow drop-in replacement of smaller foot-print
> > shells instead of bash,
>
> Handwaving.

Far from handwaving.  (In fact, I try to keep at least my right hand
very immobile at the moment, due to just managing to cut two of my
fingertips when slicing a lime...)  I have a very specific use for this,
described below (and described in my original message, which you so
neatly trimmed down)...

> Please stop this pointless crusade against bash. All it can accomplish
> is to introduce bugs where previously there were none. Throwing around
> words like "portability" does not accomplish anything.

It is *NOT* a crusade against bash.  I use bash as my primary shell for
all my workstations, my laptop, and my server (and my MacOS X-machine).
I'd rather be able to avoid having it installed on my embedded machine,
though.  1MB of storage doesn't matter squat on my 40GB drive on my
laptop, but it's a 32nd of the total space on my embedded device.

And I bet other Debian-developers and users trying to fit something onto
tight devices wouldn't mind either.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //