Re: Pre-Depends of #CDD#-common meta packages from cdd-common

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 07:14:47AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 05:50:44PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> > (besides that I don't know whether "command" is a bashism)

(yes, it is)

> Doesn't matter.
>
> * You can use which(1), which is part of debianutils, an Essential
>   package, and which should be portable.

Probably the best solution. which should probably be moved from
/usr/bin/which to /bin/which, though.

> * bash, itself, is an Essential package, so you could just
>   s:#!/bin/sh:#!/bin/bash: and not care about portability.

Please don't.  I'm doing my best to rid all sh-scripts from
XSI:isms, bashisms, cshisms, etc...  And having the scripts just
dodge the bullet by using /bin/bash instead kind of defeats this
idea.  I've already cleaned up a large portion of base, and begun
trickling these change, in a very low tempo, back into those package.
My goal is of course to be able to just equiv away bash on a minimal
system and without anything breaking.  (And yes, I know that this will
of course not continue to work if I install packages from outside of
base, but that's outside of the scope of my current effort.)

Note that I'm not modifying build-scripts; I have bash on all my
build-machines anyway (it's my shell of preference, so why should I?),
but being able to replace bash with posh on a minimal installation to
save 1MB of diskspace, would make quite a difference for an embedded
computer.

Besides, ridding the scripts of things such as these also increases
portability to those crippled non-Debian systems out there.  Not all of
them use bash.

Of course, packages outside of base aren't equally prioritised and
could live on happily ever after with bash-scripts, but I do think that
avoiding bash-scripts would be best anyway, since it's really quite
simple to avoid them in most cases.  And when the bashisms are a bit
harder to dodge, I'll do my best to help. =)

Obviously, I don't expect to have the changes merged before the
release of Sarge (even though I would certainly not mind having the
work done; just keeping the patches up to date separately should be
easy enough.)

BTW: Anyone interested in helping me with this, chime up.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //