Re: Right way for calculating versioned dependencies?

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:16:40PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:02:48PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
>
> > I've got a package that I want to declare a version dependency on another
> > package.
> >
> > Currently the Depends: line is just ${shlibs:Depends}, and this is adding
> > unversioned dependencies fine, but for at least two of the packages it's
> > calculating I want to include a version number.
>
> Why?  If the shlibs information is correct, ${shlibs:Depends} will be
> correct.  If the shlibs information is not correct, that should be fixed in
> the library package.

Okay, an example. scanssh-2.0 has a build dependency on libevent-dev (>=0.8-1).

When built, the Depends line is libevent1, which is a package built from
libevent-dev. Problem is, the package doesn't seem to work with the version
of libevent1 that's in testing, but it does work with the new libevent1 that
was recently uploaded to unstable.

Are you saying that the shlibs information provided by the libevent-dev
package is incorrect?

regards

Andrew