Right way for calculating versioned dependencies?

Hi,

I've got a package that I want to declare a version dependency on another
package.

Currently the Depends: line is just ${shlibs:Depends}, and this is adding
unversioned dependencies fine, but for at least two of the packages it's
calculating I want to include a version number.

I'm getting the feeling I should be either playing with debian/shlibs or
debian/substvars, but specific documentation seems a bit hazy... I've read
8.6 of Debian Policy, and it just sort of says to do the above. The manpages
for dh_shlibdeps and dpkg-shlibdeps don't really say a great deal either...

TIA

Andrew