Re: Why is package X not in testing yet?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:58:09AM +0100, Bj?rn Stenberg wrote:
> > There it claims: "Updating ginac makes 1 packages uninstallable on alpha:
> > ginac".  Huh?!?  Now it's talking about uninstallable source packages!?!
> Yeah, that's a feature.

Well, you should be saying "...makes binary packages from 1 source(s)
uninstallable on alpha, namely: ginac". It's not meaningful to talk
about uninstallable source packages, and what you've got seems especially
likely to be confusing if a source package builds multiple binary packages
including one with the same name as the source package.

> The list of uninstallable packages can grow very long when all
> binaries are listed, making it hard to see which source packages are
> having problems. Someone asked me to filter the list and just show the
> source packages, so that's what the script currently does.

You could also consider saying:

	makes the following packages uninstallable: foo, bar, baz,
	(and 5 other packages from metavar source package), blah, ...

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004