On Friday 20 Feb 2004 4:35 pm, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> Another important factor is something very human and what we all do:
> if you have 2 tasks, one is very hard and one is easy, you often opt
> to do the easy task first and the hard one later.  In the meantime,
> another easy task pops up, so you do that, and you never carry out the
> hard task because there's always something more urgent or easy coming
> up.

IMO this would be helped if there was explicitly a team for this. In my
experience it is harder in a team to procrastinate because you have other
people watching what you are doing and reminding you. c.f. pair programming
in XP

> prepare a rejection.  Believe it or not, people are not rejected just
> on a whim or based on personal bias.  There is a long process of
> observing the applicant, talking to other people to get an impression
> what they think of the applicant, see how he fits in with the
> community, etc.

This to me sounds like a very difficult thing to get right. Factors like these
could be very easily coloured by personal prejudice, whether conscious or
not. Would it not help to get some guidelines in place over what is a good
reason for rejection and what is not e.g.

We MAY reject for:

 - Poor quality of technical skills
 - Lack of agreement with Debian principles

We WILL NOT reject for:

 - Political opinions

Even these few examples are of course fraught with difficulty. I'm not
suggesting rules, but if people can see why they might not be accepted then
it will encourage/discourage them from applying appropriately and perhaps
reduce the percentage (admittedly already low) of NMs being rejected, and
reduce the element of surprise when someone is rejected (for example, I have
no idea why Goswin would be rejected).