Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:26:18PM +0100, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:

> Regarding "timely fashion" of updates, it remains to be seen wether with
> the current archive growth between releases the Debian Security Team will
> continue to be able to provide updates for some packages (specially of
> lower priority, i.e. 'optional/extra' sections) as soon as some users
> would like to.

The most obvious (and, I think, most achievable) way to scale up the
security update process is for maintainers to get involved more.  Nothing
speeds the process more than an active and capable maintainer who contacts
the security team promptly with useful information about a vulnerability.
Maintainers who are closely involved with upstream development can generally
get up to speed on preparing an update faster than the security team because
they are more familiar with the software.

--
 - mdz