Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:09:46PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  7) are security patch mechanisms convenient for the BSD's?
>     For Linux in general? For Debian?

I believe their methods of distributing updates securely are significantly
more convenient than ours at present.  I believe you can checkout the ports
tree via cvs over ssh, and so authenticate the server that you are talking
to.  In our case, you need to verify a gpg signature on a file containing
some md5sums which you must then verify by hand (and very few people do in
my experience).

apt 0.6 is a step in the direction of improving this part of our process.

--
 - mdz