Re: Strange FTBFS on s390

Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> sorry for bothering the general newsgroup. I already asked my question on
> the s390 and gtk-gnome lists but got no response.
>
> nautilus-media, part of the GNOME core desktop, is currently blocked from
> testing because of this FTBFS on s390:
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=nautilus-media&ver=0.3.3.1-4&arch=s390&stamp=1076051222&file=log&as=raw
>
> What happened is that apt failed to properly unpack and configure the
> build-depends: It tried to configure libeel2-2 before having configured
> libeel2-data. dpkg complained about this loudly and returend an error.
>
> This happened on s390 _only_. On all other arches the package built just
> fine.
>
> Can someone explain this? Is apt or dpkg probably misconfigured on s390?
> What can I do about this?
>
> Thanks a lot for any hint!
>
> Johannes

Policy 7.2 says the following:

Depends
    This declares an absolute dependency. A package will not be
    configured unless all of the packages listed in its Depends field
    have been correctly configured.

    The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is
    required for the depending package to provide a significant amount
    of functionality.

    The Depends field should also be used if the postinst, prerm or
    postrm scripts require the package to be present in order to
    run. Note, however, that the postrm cannot rely on any
    non-essential packages to be present during the purge phase.

Your circular depends is unsolvable. They can't be both configured
before the other.

In case of such a circular depends I would say that the order in which
those packages are configured is undetermined. _You_ have to make sure
either way works.

But why does libeel2-data depend on libeel2 at all? It only has a
preinst script that doesn't (and can't) depend on libeel2 and contains
a bunch of locale files that are just data.

You might want to drop the Depends and add a copyright / licence /
changelog to libeel2-data.

MfG
        Goswin