Re: gcc as optional

#include <hallo.h>
* Steinar H. Gunderson [Wed, Jan 28 2004, 02:20:02PM]:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:37:08AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > I think we should not to do things by halves. When such service
> > (pre-installed compiler) is provided for the users, it should also be
> > ready for basic tasks (compile kernel modules or a new kernel, for
> > example). I think this all should be moved into an extra task.
>
> Compiling a kernel is not `a basic task'. Compiling userspace programs,
> however, might be.

Who compiles that simpel userspace programs just-for-fun, except of
those who learn programming using a Ansi-C book? Try:

apt-cache search . | cut -f1 -d\  | xargs apt-cache showsrc | grep ^Build-Depends:

and think about it. This does not even show packages that need
"build-essential" components to build. So I except 90% of the users
today need to install build-essential _and_ other packages to compile
regular "userspace programs", so your "might be" is not more than a
hope, idealized for a very small minority.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
Verdünnung ist keine Lösung für Verschmutzung.