Re: gcc as optional

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, A Mennucc1 wrote:

> I here propose that gcc (and companions) become "Priority: optional"

A similar decision was made for TeX and emacs some time ago, because
they grew so much that not being them standard made a really big
difference.

I think gcc is much more important than TeX and emacs and it's not so
"bloated", so to speak. You can create documents with a lot of
different systems, and you can edit files with a lot of different
editors, but IMHO, there are not so many different C compilers that we
have to take gcc out of standard (yes, I know there are other free
compilers, but for practical purposes gcc is THE compiler).

The number of people not using the task system that would have to
install gcc by hand after installing the default packages would be a
lot greater than the number of people who currently deinstall gcc
because of being shortof space, so I don't think making gcc optional
would be a good idea.

What we can do is not to repeat what we did in woody, when we shipped
two different gcc releases of standard priority (gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.0).