Re: exim4-config and exim4-base installed on systems with non-exim-MTA

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:09:04AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> For example, the place I work has a package exim4-config-ilkserver
> based on exim4-config-medium. That package installs without debconf
> questions and contains a configuration that is suitable to our
> non-main servers. It, for example, only delivers mail to local
> accounts that are especially configured to receive mails.

So, why can't this be done without an exim4-config package in Debian, with
something like the following arrangement:

	exim4-daemon
		provides/conflicts: mail-transport-agent
		postinst:
			checks /etc/exim4
			if it doesn't exist, creates it, using debconf

	exim4-config-ilkserver:
		postinst:
			rm -rf /etc/exim4
			create /etc/exim4 according to desired config

	# apt-get install exim4-config-ilkserver
	# apt-get install exim4-daemon

> And if exim4's config file
> format changes or our config starts using features only present beyond
> exim 4.foo, we can use the Dependency mechanism to prevent
> non-matching binary and config packages from being installed.

This can be arranged by having:

	exim4-daemon
		provides: exim4-config-format-v1

	exim4-config-ilkserver