kernel-patch-acl

Herbert, would it be possible to get the ACL kernel patch included in the
Debian kernel source?

Much of this patch is scheduled to be included in 2.4.24, so the work required
will be decreasing.  The patch is already in 2.6.0-test kernels so it does
not require anything to be carried forward to 2.6.

The reason I think that this patch is particularly important for Debian
kernels is that if you once create an XATTR on an Ext2 or Ext3 file system
then an unpatched 2.4.x kernel will not mount it unless it has the XATTR
patch (part of the ACL patch).  This means that someone who upgrades from a
Debian kernel to a kernel with XATTR enabled will be unable to go back.

This problem has already bitten several skilled Debian developers at various
times.  Given the problems that are caused for such skilled people as a
result of this I hate to imagine the consequences for typical users!

I have forward-ported the ACL patch to 2.4.23, my package is on
http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/kern/ , I am prepared to assist you in
whatever coding work is required for ACL support.