Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:42:09AM +0200, Christian Surchi wrote:
> Il mer, 2003-10-22 alle 22:38, Riku Voipio ha scritto:
> > This is ludicrous. There is no advantage to anyone if obvious
> > upstream issues pass through debian BTS. Packaging bugs
> > to debian BTS, upstream bugs to upstream BTS. If unsure,
> > to debian BTS.
>
> No, upstream bugs are bugs in Debian too. There's no reason to "hide"
> them.

I know this is different from the given situation, but the question is
just as valid...

Is it OK to ask submitters to file wishlist bugs for new features with
upstream? As maintainer of spamassassin, I have generally closed bugs
for new rule requests (asking users to submit upstream), simply
because the number of new rule requests could get to be quite massive;
these requests clutter the BTS, and generally aren't worth the effort
to forward to upstream bugzilla. (If someone created a nice script to
automagically forward Debian bugs to an upstream bugzilla, I would be
greatful.) These bugs aren't problems with Debian but requests for
improving SpamAssassin, and as a result I feel that I should not be
held responsible for forwarding upstream (especially in large
numbers).

Thanks,

--
Duncan Findlay