Re: dpkg-dev 1.10.11 incompatible changes.

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Andreas Metzler wrote:

>> I can do that (but not before friday), but as it is very simple and
>> short I'll repeat it here: Take an extracted package (I used
>> volume.app), append ~ to the version-number in debian/changelog
>> and run "dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -sd -rfakeroot -S". The resulting
>> source-package cannot be unpacked with woody's dpkg-source.

> Well, duh.  You can't do that.

I could. dpkg-buildpackage did it without any error.

Did you intend to say "You may not?". That is fair enough if it
documented, i.e. there is a list in /usr/share/doc/dpkg/DO_NOT:

* Though shalt not use '~' version numbers until sarge is released
* Though shalt not use comments in debian/control, until ...

I know that these things are already implicitely verboten, because
policy does not allow them, but if dpkg-* supports them and additional
warning is helpful.

> You won't be able to do that until dpkg-source that supports it is
> in stable.

I am very happy we agree that it is no acceptable to have
source-packages in unstable that cannot be handled by the tools
in stable.

> This is standard feature rollout for debian.

Sane measures. :-)

> In fact, if you tried to upload such a package, dinstall would
> probably reject it (I remember asking for such a filter).

Evidently I completely failed to make myself clear, this was exactly
the the thing I was asking about in the first place.
| Are there some protections in katie (or whatever does it) to reject
| uploads using these features until we have a dpkg-dev in stable
| (i.e. after sarge's release) that can cope with it?"

I cannot come up with anything better.

It really must be very tiresome for you native speakers, trying to
communicate with us who write incomprehensible mails in inferior
English. Sorry.
      cu and- doubting that katie/jennifer/whatever will reject
              uploads with comments in debian/control -reas