Re: Future releases of Debian

How hard or unreasonable would it be to make it easy for users to sign up
for some sort of automated notification system which would keep them
informed about the status of packages they use?  If I were a completely
pragmatic user, I would want something like this:

  1.  To run stable.
  2.  To be informed if a package I use regularly has some_number of RC
      bugs open in unstable for some_amount_of_time.
  3.  To be informed if a package gets orphaned upstream, or (more
      feasibly and probably more importantly) at the debian level.
  4.  Possibly to be informed if a package I use hasn't been updated
      upstream and/or in debian for a long time.

This would be useful information for making choices and plans, and
acquiring it by hand can be a bit painful.

Debian developers are uniquely situated to help users navigate and select
amoung the tens of thousands of packages now available.  All we would need
to do is expose some selected bits of our existing infrastructure in a
collected, readable form.  We could simultaneously serve our users and
address the fact that at some point, we're going to have to jettison
packages that people are using (fair warning will make this less painful).

Actually, if there is any interest I might try to put something like this
together myself.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."