Re: 469 packages still using dh_undocumented, check if one is yours

"Artur R. Czechowski" <arturcz@hell.pl> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:26:44AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > > Could the dh_undocumented programm allways fail with an error "Don't
> > > use me" as the next step? That way all new uploads will be forced to
> > > care.
> > No. Breaking 400+ packages so our uses cannot build them from source is
> > unacceptable.
> What's about dh_undocumented looking like:
> ------------------
> #!/bin/bash
> if [ $FORCE_UNDOCUMENTED = 1 ]; then
>   echo You are still using dh_undocumented which is obsoleted.
>   echo Stop it.
> else
>   echo You are using obsoleted dh_undocumented in your debian/rules.
>   echo Please stop it and prepare a manpage for your package.
>   echo If you really want to build this package read (pointer to
>   documentation which explains how to set FORCE_UNDOCUMENTED or how to remove this from debian/rules and why using dh_undocumented is bad).
>   exit 1
> fi
> ------------------
>
> Pro:
>   - it is possible to build package with buildd or any other autobuilder
>   - human building package can force it to build too
>   - it requires an interaction from developer, but this interaction is not
>     time consuming
>
> This is a good compromise between technical and social means to achieve a goal.

I would have reversed it. Use "$FAIL_UNDOCUMENTED" and have
autobuilders set that.

Unknowing users aren't bothered, old sources still compile but new
uploads are forced to handle the issue.

But Joey stoped reading this so nothing will happen. EOD.

MfG
        Goswin