Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for June)

In article <[🔎] 20030614172401.GA23165@lst.de>, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:24:01AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>> If I recall corretly, it is in contrib because of the lack of a proper
>> java.  Getting it to compile with gcc java would solve that problem,
>> and I believe I've heard that RedHat already got that working.
>
> RedHat used gcj for the java build tools and killed off the java
> binding.

I'm a little confused; can you expand?  I know that OpenOffice uses
Java in several different ways, and I'm getting them confused; the
run-time need for Sun's JDK (e.g., in the help system?) is dropped in
the Debian packages already, correct?  Is the Java binding something
beyond that?

In any case, is there any chance of porting their work in the Debian
packages so that OpenOffice can be part of the next release?

Eager to use OpenOffice,
	Dylan