Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for June)

I didn't have much of a chance to update this report to be accurate to
more than from a few days ago, but here it is as I'll likely be busy for
the next few days. I'll try to post another message updating this stuff
again next month. Note I haven't included the latest apt translation
announcement or the much discussed menu system update announcement.

I may not be pointing to the canonical locations. My guesses about
priorities (1-3) of things to be done before Sarge is released is below
with status information. I'm unsure as to where to get status information
about some things in the second paragraph below (which is mainly about
packages).
2 Installer TODO: http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/TODO?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
1 Debian installer Ports(and architectures?) status: http://people.debian.org/~mckinstry/ports-status.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200305/msg00445.html
says all ports not likely for sarge.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2003/debian-hurd-200305/msg00165.html
talks about the hurd status.
http://www.m17n.org/linux-sh/debian/packages.html seems to show that the
super H (sh) is almost ready (all base compiled).
2 i386 libc support? (The large thread starting with
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01895.html
and going into the May archive talks about this). Do we have to wait for
upstream to fix this? We want to stay compatible with other distributions
which broke support for i386 in libc.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00360.html
describes the current situation.
1 gcc 3.3 (and g++ abi change?) transition status (versions with c102
suffix): http://people.debian.org/~rmurray/c++transition.html a search
reveils:
http://www.google.ca/search?as_q=c102&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=packages.debian.org&safe=images
but this search is inaccurate. It only tells about the last crawled i386
package pages and includes packages that depend/recomend/suggest these
i386 c102 packages. g++-3.2 and 3.3 have the same ABI. Transition should
now be done to 3.3, but I beleive this means packages already compiled
with 3.2 should still work.
2 Release Critical Bugs status: http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
1 Problems in testing:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/testing_probs.html
2 IPV6 status & status guesses:
http://debdev.fabbione.net/cgi-bin/getstats
3 Debian Description Translation Projects (DDTP?) status:
http://ddtp.debian.org/stats/ with an anoncment (
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200304/msg00015.html
) of an APT with translation support.
Also: http://www.de.debian.org/international/l10n/ has status and ranked
information about l10n and i18n in package Descriptions and templates.
http://www.de.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#i18n (in development) talks
about howto do l10n, i18n, and m17n.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00348.html
discusses 4 basic goals.
2 UTF-8 or UTF8?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01520.html
suggests a status site.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg02012.html
talks about the current list of programs with i18n support disabled.
3 Package attributes: (Is done by "tags" and/or keywords. I'd like to
include upstream trove information):
http://deb-usability.alioth.debian.org/debtags/index.html has details of
the tag Package browser, debtags package information and links to other
package tag discussions/information.
3 Menu system update to conform to
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html
(as suggested in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg00800.html
) The old update was abandonded but contributes to the new standard.
3 AMD x86-64 port? Several threads have been on debian-devel about this.
i386 packages will aparently work for this arch. (Note: According to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01975.html
AMD prefers the port to be called AMD64 and not x86-64 or alike) "gcc-3.3
is a prerequisite" says
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00360.html
replace the old alioth mailing list.

2 flex transition: Silently a major revision of flex came into unstable
and broke parts of openoffice.org, postgresql and many others. flex-old is
now available so a slower transition can be allowed while not delaying
sarge.
1 XFree86 status (sarge'll have 4.3.0, 4.2.1 was been abandonded due to
gcc compilation issues, but is back):
http://people.debian.org/~branden/xsf/
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/debian-x-200305/msg00134.html gives
some status and information about how to help.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x86-64/2003/debian-x86-64-200305/msg00003.html
asks for help to port 4.3.0 to the AMD64 (aka x86-64).
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/debian-x-200305/msg00201.html says
4.2.1-7 is planned to be released again.
1 Linux Kernel: The thread starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg01334.html
discusses  how the kernel source, images, patches and related packages
need to be handled differnely, especialy for security update reasons.
3 Linux kernel 2.6:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg00964.html
there were some potential Debian Installer (d-i) issues listed in the same
thread. In
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200305/msg00397.html
aj says not to wait for 2.6. 2.5 was feture frozen October 31, 2002 ? The
thread at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg02113.html
discusses how 2.5 can work. m68k still uses 2.2 and it's hoped that 2.2
won't be in sarge+1. Rummors of a release this summer are discussed, but
it's also predicted to be "unstable" for a while after it goes to 2.6.
2 KDE (3.1?)? Is there a status site? 3.1.1 is in unstable.
1 libpng transition: debian-devel has some discussion about this archived
for Jan and Jul 2002.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200207/msg01106.html
is quite interesting.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01079.html
lists some more info.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01880.html
describes the current situation.
3 QT transition (Qt2->Qt3)? Mentioned in thread
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg00217.html
3 MySQL 4: http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mysql-dfsg.html (note the
current license bug on libmysqlclient12, it isn't lgpl and there's openssl
vs gpl and gpl vs lgpl licence issues)
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200305/msg00253.html
discusses the current situation.
1 Gnome2: http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html (is the imlib png
library compatiblility issue involve here?) It looks like most of gnome2
will be going into testing soon.
3 Java (some packages were in contrib/non-free because they wouldn't work
with free Java implementations (ie kaffe). kaffe is free but marked
[REMOVE], (Sun's jre isn't?), gjc and gij need some work acording to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01210.html
An old, but still relevant java faq is at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq Is Kaffe waiting for a
DSA before it's RC bugs are fixed?
3 guile 1.4 -> 1.6 transition?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200302/msg00255.html
Josselin Mouette says in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01079.html
that 1.6 is broken. It seems we'll be sticking with 1.4 for a while.
http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=guile-1.6 p.qa.d.o and
bugs.d.o seems to indicate that only build issues are holding back guile
1.6

Some other notes:
Boot-floppies status (very likely *has to* be replaced with the
debian-installer): http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/

Packages not in testing reasons and prioraty lists:
http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/
Testing information: http://www.debian.org/devel/testing
Update excuses:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html.gz
Update output: http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_output.txt
Archives of the mailing list for "Coordinating Debian releases" (includes
assignments and reports on assignments):
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/

QA information (links to info on RC bugs and alike): http://qa.debian.org

A Woody+1 (aka sarge) release goal wishlist:
http://people.debian.org/~erich/woody+1/
Discussion about Woody+1 (goals) at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200205/msg02497.html
Older (hamm, slink) release goals: http://people.debian.org/~joey/goals/

Info about release(d) revisions of Stable:
http://people.debian.org/~joey/stable.html
Website translation status: http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/
Debian keys trust metrics: http://people.debian.org/~weasel/weboftrust/
(It'd be nice to see a higher trust metric.)
Package Popularity (popularity-contest):
http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr/popcon/

Devel todo list: http://www.debian.org/devel/todo/

General information about sarge: http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/
Package diff bethween Debian testing and unstable:
http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/cdbygging/distdiff-all.html.gz

3 gzip rsync patch (patch will be removed or fixed for alphas):
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gzip this was fixed, but
there's still a bug set to hold the rsync patch out of testing.
2 ocaml status?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg00986.html
and bug 187155. Done?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2003/debian-ocaml-maint-200304/msg00091.html
seems to say it is.
3 fhs status: http://qa.debian.org/fhs.html Done, see the bugs.
3 Postgresql (uprade bug fixed, but flex bug is kludged, help needed)
3 Ooo (OpenOffice.org 1.0.3?): More info at least on the debian ooo
mailing list, is there a status site?
http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/openoffice.org.html shows some info
2 Perl transition (5.6-5.8): The debian-perl list might have an up to date
status, is there a status site? Perl 5.8.0-17 is in testing now.
2 Postgresql 7.3.2r1-5 is in testing
2 Python transition: 2.2.2-6 is in testing.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2003/debian-python-200304/msg00010.html
shows part of how it finnished.

     Drew Daniels