Re: i386 compatibility & libstdc++

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:13:08PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On pe, 2003-04-25 at 11:09, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
> > They just don't support i386 anymore.
> >
> > http://www.suse.de/en/private/products/suse_linux/i386/system_requirements.html
> > http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/
> >
> > You got to have a Pentium+ for these distributions.
> >
> > This is quite reasonable, IMO: People with older hardware
> > can use older versions of these distributions (which they are
> > running probably already, anyway).
>
> So using a 386 as a router and firewall, which it is perfectly capable
> of hardwarewise, isn't going to be an option anymore? For such purposes,
> running an older version of Debian (or whatever distribution) isn't an
> option, since you have to be able to get security updates.
>
> I could live with that, but I think it'd be a shame.

I bet someone would rebuild base+some extras using i386 target compiler
and make it available, if Debian did that. They would probably serve a
few hundred users total, at best. I don't think it would be too much to
expect debian-i386 to become a side-project.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/